If you want to make money online selling products, there are two ways to do it. You can be an affiliate marketer and sell the products of others for a commission, or you can create and sell your own products.
Both have their advantages. Affiliate marketing is considered the lazy way, even though building sites and backlinks does take a lot of work. With affiliate marketing, all you need is a site and content to start making sales. But in this day and age, it has never been cheaper or easier to create your own information products.
Write Your Own EBook
Info products come in all shapes and sizes. They can be anything from a short PDF report to a podcast series. The most common product is the eBook. This is a simple PDF file that can be anywhere from 20 to 300 pages.
In order to create an eBook, all you need is some type of software to turn your Word document into a PDF. You don’t even need to pay for this software because are open source PDF creators that are absolutely free.
Writing the Book
Writing a book is definitely a daunting task, but it’s easy if you break it up into steps. Here’s how you get the book done:
– Choose your topic. Research your niche and find out what people are looking for. If there are already products on the market that address this need, give yours a slightly unique twist. The best eBooks solve the reader’s problem or answer a burning questions.
– Create your table of contents. Break up your topic into sub-topics. What are all of the essential points that your eBook needs to cover in order to be effective? These will be your chapters. Create eye-catching and original chapter titles. At this stage, they don’t have to be perfect; you can go back and change them later.
– Each chapter is simply a 400-600 word article. An eBook is really just a collection of articles that are tied together. If you think of it this way, then instead of having to write a 40-page eBook, you have to write 20-25 articles. This makes it much easier.
– When you’ve written the articles, go back and read through them to make sure that they flow. Edit chapter titles and make sure that the page numbers in the table of contents are accurate.
– Format the book and convert it to PDF. It’s now ready for sale.
Bonuses Give Your Readers More
Once you’ve created your first eBook and you realize how easy it is, a whole slew of them will follow. Now, it’s time to master some other formats so that you can create information products with more value. Added bonuses like videos, sound files or resource directories increase the value of your product, which means that you can charge more for them.
Creating sound files and simple videos is also extremely simple. Some authors create MP3 files where they read the book. This way, their readers can choose to listen to the book instead if they don’t have time to read. You can also create videos to illustrate points from the book. These can be videos of screenshots, slideshows, PowerPoint presentations or just you talking. They don’t have to be anything fancy.
For a really hot-selling info product that’s easy to create, compile a resource directory. Find useful links in your highly targeted niche and make a PDF file full of links to them and descriptions. Another great idea is to interview someone in your niche who is well known. They’ll like the exposure and you’ll get more added value to your info product. This is also an easy way to create content.